Are you laying new grass and wanting to know the best soil for turf underlay? Coolhaven Turf have all the tips to help you get great results with your lawn.
As a local turf farm, we have all the best advice to help you prepare for your new lawn. Many people ask what they need to do in preparation for our turf deliveries, and making sure the soil is good quality is key.
We always recommend using the specially created soil called “UnderTurf” to make sure your new grass gets the best chance of giving you a green lawn year round.
If your current soil is already growing things well, you may be able to skip the Underturf and simply use a rotary hoe to make sure it’s aerated enough – click here for more tips on preparing your existing soil.
What is Underturf?
Underturf is a specialty soil mix, making it purpose built to give you turf a great start. To do this it has:
- The right amount of clay – to hold water and help keep the turf moist – this clay isn’t compacted like a lot of Queensland soil, so it won’t make it hard for the roots to grow.
- Underturf is loaded with nutrient enriched organics, providing your new turf with all the food and nutrient it needs.
How to use Underturf
Before putting Underturf down, give a quick scrape to the area to level it out so there are no humps and bumps. Cover the area with at a blanket of Underturf that is at least 25mm thick.
Where to find it
Underturf can be bought through most landscape suppliers. You’ll need to work out how many cubic meters to purchase, and we recommend calculating how much you need based on using at least 25mm per square metre.
The Underturf will typically be delivered in a tipper truck, so having a wheelbarrow, shovel and rake ready will help make quick work of spreading it out.
Why Choose Coolhaven Turf?
- The success of your new grass largely depends on the quality of the soil before laying the turf and the freshness and quality of the turf itself. Coolhaven Turf has access to the right advice, products and of course, turf.
- Our turf range grows in all different soil types, so we know what works.
- Because we grow it we have the better idea on what advice to give you in order to look after it.
- If something happens or goes wrong with the turf – we’ve seen it, we’ve experienced it all and know how to fix it.
Best Soil for Turf Underlay
Growing and laying turf is what Coolhaven Turf can do best. We provide turf laying services to the Sunshine Coast to South East and Central Queensland.
Family Owned and Operated – Coolhaven Turf provides a variety of turf whether is’t for a big yard, small yard or even just a courtyard. Choose from Empire Zoysia, Prestige Buffalo, Sapphire Buffalo and Wintergreen Couch here at Coolhaven Turf.